Monday, August 02, 2010

CHEFS LOG ALASKA DATE JULY 30 2010

Pillsbury Perfection Skillet Baked Morning Biscuits seemed just the way to greet everyone with smile and a brown sugar and honey drizzle glaze (gaze). The California peaches and plums tossed their juices together in a big glass bowl while eggs rose to the occasion with crisp bacon and mushrooms named fritatta. My guests love the big breakfasts I am preparing and as I watch them wolf down the full plate and guzzle glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice, I know I am where I should be. Whether in a galley, in Alaska, thousands of miles away from the ones I hold dearest, or in my own designer kitchen on Lake Lenore, I am always home where the pots are boiling over with love from my pantry!.

A high pressure morning brought rays of sunlight streaming through a brilliant blue sky. Next, Wrangell! One of the sweetest little towns in Southeast. Captain, First Mate and I took the skiff after docking at the new marina and went into town about a mile away. We gratefully stopped to pay homage to the Totem House where protective, more than a hundred year old totem poles stand erect over looking Wrangle Bay. Wrangle seemed a ghost town by late afternoon, but we always stop and shop at the Eagersman Everything store, contributing to the economy of a community that knows us by name. Guests are off to view the petroglyphs at low tide. Markings of a time long ago when only natives walked the shores. Holding on to history as I blog, text, double click and send.       

Meyers Chuck, could be my favorite place in Southeast. A community that has a history for more than 70 years. Halibut Bill, Jig Man and Little Lori …. a little place with a big heart.
It has been couple of years since I have stepped on Terra Firma here at MC and as we make the turn to see if there is space at the dock, my mouth drops in shock. Dock is full and 4 other boats are anchored in the harbour. We used to be the only ones here. The world can change, so can I, but not MC. My baby blues squint to keep the new construction out. I close my eyes and turn away to keep from bringing reality to life. Memories best kept in the windmills of my mind. But, don't get me wrong, to those of you who have never been here, there is no other world more charming and enchanting.
Doll porpoise running with the wake
Meyers Chuck ... FOR SALE ...Lenore's Cook Camp and Catering! Relocate!
We sit well in the water and everyone know us by name, bow and stern. On to make dinner after our little skiff excursion. Enjoy this amazing recipe. It may be too warm in our air-conditioned Florida climate ... if so, I am planning on sharing this recipe at one of my upcoming fish classes. Enjoy it today or put it on the back burner for another cooler day.

PECAN CRUSTED HALIBUT WITH MAPLE SWEET POTATOES
6 6 oz. pieces halibut fillet
3 c. small chopped raw pecans
1/3 c. favorite pancake mix
3 egg whites beaten
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
6 small sweet potatoes or yams
3 T. unsalted butter
Pinch nutmeg
¼ + c. maple syrup
lemons
Wrap sweet potatoes individually into tented foil. Place on sheet pan and bake in 400 degree oven until soft. Let cool slightly. Remove from foil and tear off the skin. Smash and season with butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Season halibut fillet with salt and pepper. Mix the nuts and pancake mix.
Place beaten in egg whites in shallow bowl. Dredge the halibut pieces in the egg and then the nut mixture. Set aside.
In a nonstick pan melt together 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter over low heat. Place the halibut into the pan, top side first. Cook each side for 3 minutes. Nuts will be toasty and golden in color. Place fish on parchment lined sheet pan and bake in 350 oven for 12-15 minutes or until fish is cooked through. Dollop mashed sweet potatoes on plate, top with halibut, drizzle with maple syrup and a generous squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!!

Until we meet again ... dinner was divine and the Baked Peaches Amaretto made for a lovely ending ... 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Lenore,

I love your blog! Will you be going to Homer?

xoxo Elly