Sunday, August 01, 2010

CHEFS LOG ALASKA DATE JULY 27 2010

VERY VERY BERRY CRUMBLE
On the morning navigating our way to the glacier I made this very berry delicious crumble to entice our guests to the early rise. Who can resist waking up to the aroma of the rich. ripe sweetness of berries and sugar? I placed it on the breakfast bar with whipped cream and vanilla yogurt and to make this morning even more special I offered them a steaming hot cup of cafe au chocolate. Voila' the day begins with a smile.  

6 cups favorite berry selection (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry)
1/4 c. dried cherries
1 t. grated lemon zest
1 t. grated orange zest
1 c. granulated sugar
2 T. corn starch
1 t. ground cinnamon
pinch salt
TOPPING
1½ c. all purpose-flour
1 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
½ t. kosher salt
¾ c. old-fashioned oatmeal
½ c. sliced almonds
½ lb [2 sticks] cold unsalted butter, diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the berries in a large bowl and add the zests, sugar, corn starch and cinnamon. Pour into a glass pie baking dish. For the topping, combine the flour, sugar, salt, almonds, oatmeal, and butter in a bowl. Using your hands crumble the butter through the ingredients into big chunks. Sprinkle evenly over the berries, covering the berries completely. Place the baking dish on a sheet pan covered with foil and bake for 50 min. to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the berries are bubbly and dripping over the side. Serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy!!
Our wonderful all girl crew, Jeannette, Jennifer and Lenore, always having fun!


Another foray up the arm to South Sawyer Glacier was mystical and enchanting with low slung clouds whipped and folded with heavy fog. Tide was low so we were able to hug the right fork snug to one side. Granite rock formations higher than the eye could transit seemed in arms reach. Then as we turned the corner, to see for the first time, or has it been my 20th or 30th, Sawyer Glacier with arms out stretched, an open door, a clear path. Icebergs parted the seas to get us closer than we had been in years. Quiet is not the word to express the stillness. Grateful shivers and blessings of goose bumps … why me? How lucky I am!      



"Every day begins with a smile and continues the same path with grace and with ease. Embracing life in Mother Natures breast of purity is so easy when the world is no bigger than the next bend or way point. Summers spent on the MV Jamal has been my life for the last 19 years. It has been an adventure. Spending time on the waters has a way of grounding me. It is an ending and a beginning. I love opening my heart and sharing my life. Please join me, there is room for all of you."

2 comments:

Ann L. Miller-Tobin said...

Lenore what an adventure you are having!! So very cool.
www.dish-on-divadesserts.com

suzanne clark said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! I read all of your log- how impressive. You definately have a wonderful writing style, I felt like I was there with you, I WISH I was there with you! Your pictures were great, you really have something unique here. I sat and read your comments with my daughter, and showed her your pictures. She said you are "an aventure girl, kind-of like Peter Pan on his ship!" From the mouth of babes! Keep living life out loud, watch out for tinkerbell!! -love ya-Suzanne Clark