Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Off to Alaska!

I take the high road to a new adventure every summer on board the MV Jamal. Only a few things I can count on and year after year ... that brown and black bears and perhaps some cubs will be looming on the shoreline, eagles skydiving like seagulls and nesting in the rocks, humpback whales bubble feeding and spouting on the horizon, doll porpoise playing hide and seek with our wake, glaciers calving and moose bucking playfully on the rocky shore ... ahh ... the life of a chef ... and all I have to do is cook salmon, halibut, black sea bass, Dungenes and King crab and make glacier ice margaritas ... and smile.

Let’s back up, I haven’t even landed yet.

Let’s go back to a few weeks ago when I was enjoying the red carpet treatment with limos, handsome bodyguards, papparazzi, Paula Deen and cream cheese. The experience, as my friend Mike says is “ShowBiz”. It was a dawn to midnight, whirlwind experience comforted each night by a big white bed in my hotel suite at the Mansion, caressed and bathed in a bubbled tub in the middle of the room, buttered on both sides by the double plated delicious crispy fried cuisine at Lady and Sons and Brother Bubbas, my heart strings trussed by the friendships made with the other finalists, the fingerlickin’ good love and support, in Savannah, that my sister April, nephew Christopher and friends provided and the I will never be spoiled by the generous lashings of well wishes from everyone at home. Experiences are good, but you, with heart and souls invested in me are the icing on the cake! Thank you from the bottom to the top of my heart.

Weather forecasts report 59 degrees, partly cloudy in Alaska, so I am glad I brought my winter gear with me again this year. You never know though, temperatures have reached as high as 85 at this time of year, and sunscreen and a bathing suit were the robes of the day. You know, like a good girl scout I am prepared for either.

I wish y’all (still carrying a few leftovers from my hospitable few days) a summer filled with cool appetizers, lots of liquid libations, lip licking chocolate desserts, afternoon sun showers, full mooned nights, beach blanket weekends, belly laughs and pitter patters of the heart. Think cool thoughts, wear a little less clothing and sashay, don’t run through this summer, its better than you think and you will want to savor the memories!.

I will be blogging, sending pictures and recipes to keep you all entertained. By land or by sea I am at your service. Kerrisha, Tina, Jacqui and Jay will be cooking all those menus we have created for your parties and events. Deliciousness prevails whether I am hands on or virtually nurturing all the preparations with them for you. TLC across the miles, from coast to coast, from sea to shinning sea.

Now, I cannot leave you without sharing a cool appetizer for a hot day. Not so much cooking, but assembling delicious, seasonal fresh ingredients, artfully arranged and divinely devoured by you!

Cook and smile, cook and smile ... by jove I think I’ve got it!!

ICED CUCUMBER SOUP “MARTINI”

5 cups of English cucumber (the ones in the plastic sleeve) peeled, seeded
and chopped
3 T. chopped fresh mint
2 T. chopped fresh dill
2 c. buttermilk
1 c. vegetable stock
1/2 c. lemon vodka (or add more stock)
3/4 c. plain whole milk organic yogurt
2 T. lime juice
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Fresh mint sprigs

Puree cucumber in food processor or blender. Add in the buttermilk, yogurt and stock. Add the lemon vodka. Blend in the mint, dill, salt, pepper and lime juice pulsing to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Ladle into “martini” glasses and garnish with pickled cucumber salad and fresh mint sprig.

Lemon Vodka Pickled Cucumber Salad
1 English cucumber sliced paper thin
½ c. tiny minced red onion
¼ c. “lemon vodka”, or substitute rice vinegar
1 t. white sugar
Mix together and marinate for one hour

Enjoy!

No comments: